October 24, 2014 by 3gracesdeb
What is Giving Tuesday Somerville?
#GivingTuesday is an international day of giving. In 2012, 92Y joined with the United Nations Foundation to create Giving Tuesday, an annual global day of giving that helps raise funds and awareness for important causes everywhere. Held on the first Tuesday after Thanksgiving, this was their answer to Black Friday and Cyber Monday where the focus would be on giving versus getting.
Here in Somerville, a group of non-profit executives and the owners of 3 Graces Productions began talking in early 2014 about a collaborative fundraising effort in Somerville, which was sparked by the SomTwestival experience in December 2013 – an effort to use social media to raise money for a designated Somerville charity.
After looking at other Giving Tuesday efforts across the world, we decided that we’d try it out for ourselves!
Giving Tuesday Somerville will be the 21st Century version of a telethon. Hosted on SCATV, this telethon will have many traditional elements, as well as new twists. We foresee the program including:
- Expert panels discussing issues relevant to Somerville nonprofits
- Live music, arts and entertainment
- Pre-taped segments about individual nonprofit organizations
- Telephone donations
- Online donations
- Live ‘tweeting’
- Business sponsor messages about our nonprofit community
- A fun, engaging emcee
The fundraising effort through Giving Tuesday is focused on supplementing the seasonal fundraising that is already happening at each participant organization. We do not intend for this to take the place of any existing fundraising, nor do we expect this to take away from funds that would typically be raised at this time of year.
The goals of Giving Tuesday Somerville are quite simple. It will:
1) Raise much-needed funds for local organizations;
2) Learn how to collaborate on fundraising as partners;
3) Demonstrate just how innovative Somerville is;
4) Introduce individual organizational donors to the wealth of community groups thriving in our community; and
5) Build the donor pool.
Watch here or on our Facebook page for more updates about this exciting effort!